PSL Team sponsorship – Supersport United
Engen and three-time PSL champions Supersport United joined forces in 2013 July. The initial three-year deal marks the coming together of two great brands; brands which grown and evolved overtime to capture the imagination of South African public.
Supersport United are a symbol of innovation and excellence in South African sport. They have won three Premier Soccer League crowns, a Nedbank Cup title and contested numerous other finals over the past six years, marking them as arguably the most successful club in South Africa over the past decade.
While the partnership sees the coming together of two performance-driven brands, we sincerely believe it is based on something deeper. In ‘Matsatsantsa’ Engen recognises an organisation that shares similar values. These include teamwork, integrity and the pursuit of excellence, amongst many others. In addition, we also share cultures that are firmly rooted in the continual search for improvement and aspirations that extend beyond the borders of South Africa and across this beautiful continent.
Engen Knockout Challenge
The Engen Knockout Challenge has grown into arguably South Africa’s most prestigious under-17 soccer event over the past 10 years. In that time the tournament has entrenched its position as a premier platform for spotting promising football talent.
Created specifically to promote competitive conditions for under-17’s, the Engen Knockout Challenge affords young football players a chance to perform to their best potential in the hope of being scouted by a top professional team. We are proud that the Engen Knockout Challenge has influenced the lives of up to 18 000 participants over the past decade.
The Engen Knockout Challenge pits 16 teams in five regions across South Africa against each other. Participation is either by invitation and/or through qualifying rounds. This sees 48 matches staged over three days at each of the five events.
The five regions which host the event are: Cape Town, Durban, Bloemfontein, Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg.
Some of the names who have come through the programme are:
- May Mahlangu (Dinamo Bucharest, Romania)
- Thulani Serero (Ajax Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Keagan Dolly (Montpellier FC, France)
- Ayanda Patosi (Sporting Lokeren, Belgium)
- Daylon Claasen (Lech Poznań, Poland)
- Ronwen Williams (Supersport United)
- Sameehg Doutie (Atlético de Kolkata, India)
- George Maluleka (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Ebrahim Seedat (Cape Town City)
- Bongani Zungu (Mamelodi Sundowns)
- Travis Graham (Ajax Cape Town)
- Thulani Hlatshwayo (Bidvest Wits)
- David Booysen (Maritzburg United)
- Riyaad Norodien (Orlando Pirates)
- Tshegofatso Mabaso (Bloemfontein Celtic)
- Keegan Buchanan (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Thabo Moloi (TUKS)
Engen Champ of Champs Overview
Engen, South Africa’s leading petroleum brand* continues to provide South Africa’s best young football talent with a stage to showcase their skills. The journey to the top for many of the country’s most talented young footballers resumes as the winners of the regional Engen Knockout Challenge competitions face-off for the Engen Champ of Champs title.
The Engen Knockout Challenge tournament crowned regional champions in Port Elizabeth, Durban, Cape Town, Bloemfontein and Johannesburg respectively. As the host club, SuperSport United’s U17 team joins the regional champions to play-off for the ultimate prize in regional football, the Engen Champ of Champs.
The high number of scout’s present at the regional Engen Knockout Challenge and Engen Champ of Champs tournaments’, bears testament to the high calibre of footballing talent on display at these tournaments. The refrain, “#YourJourneyStartsHere” continues at the Engen Champ of Champs as the tournament provides a platform for these aspiring young players to launch their future professional careers in the sport.
*As voted in the Sunday Times Top Brands and Sunday Times Generation Next surveys.”
1. The Engen Knockout Challenge is a regional Tournament which takes place in five regions in South Africa viz. Gauteng, Eastern Cape, Kwazulu-Natal, Free State and Western Cape.
2. Each regional Tournament must secure a sanction in writing from the South African Football Association regional office. (SAFA)
3. Each regional competition hosts 16 local teams from that specific region over 2/3 days.
4. No team may participate in more than one regional Engen Knockout Challenge.
5. Players may not be 18 years old or older on 31 December in the year preceding the tournament, in each year of this agreement.
6. The Competition Format will include First Round Matches in a round-robin format, with winners proceeding to the Winners Section and Losers playing off for positions 9 to 16.
7. Duration of Matches:
7.1. First round to Quarter-finals – 25 minutes each way
7.2. Semi-finals – 25 minutes each way
7.3. Finals – 25 minutes each way
8. In the event of draw at full-time, the match will proceed straight to a penalty shoot-out.
9. In the event of same points, the two teams will proceed straight to a penalty shoot-out.
10. The selection panel in each region is made up of a Convener of Selectors nominated by Engen Petroleum Limited and two selectors chosen by each LOC and approved by Engen Petroleum Limited.
11. The selection panel is solely responsible for the selection of all special awards presented at the Tournament, as follows:
11.1. Goalkeeper of the Tournament
11.2. Defender of the Tournament
11.3. Midfielder of the Tournament
11.4. Striker of the Tournament
11.5. Referee of the Tournament
11.6. Coach of the Tournament
11.7. Player of the Tournament
11.8. Top goal scorer of the Tournament
12. Fair play Team of the Tournament will be nominated solely by the Convener of Selectors, based on fair play, discipline and the spirit in which they played the game.
1. [PARTICIPATING CLUB] warrants and undertakes, that it shall ensure that its players, officials and management (“Representatives”) shall at all times during the tournament, unless authorized by ENGEN and / or the host club / club in writing to do otherwise:
1.1. conduct themselves in a professional manner in all appearances and/or engagements relating to the tournament;
1.2. not engage in any activity in any capacity whatsoever, which is not consistent with portraying a “wholesome image”. In this regard a “wholesome image” shall mean, inter alia:
1.2.1 an image typifying ENGEN Brand values, being honesty, integrity, and team work, fairness & friendliness;
1.2.2 no imbibing or use of any illegal substances;
1.2.3 no participation or association with any illegal, unlawful or immoral activities;
1.2.4 no utilisation of any inappropriate or offensive language; and
1.2.5 the promotion of a clean, healthy and law-abiding lifestyle.
1.3. not engage in any comment about controversial political issues or in any comment about, criticism of or any slander whatsoever of ENGEN or the Host Club / Club
1.4. Field players who are eligible to play in the event. Players may not be 18 years old or older on 31 December in the year preceding the Tournament, and are registered with SAFA (club) or SASFA (school).
1.5. [PARTICIPATING CLUB] acknowledges and understands that any breach of the provisions contained herein by tournament teams, officials or management of [PARTICIPATING CLUBS], shall constitute a material breach of this Agreement and shall entitle ENGEN and the Host Club / Club to exercise any and/or all legal rights afforded to it including but not limited to suing [PARTICIPATING CLUB] for any damages resulting from such breach.
2. [PARTICIPATING CLUB] hereby warrants and undertakes that:
1.1 It shall procure that each of its Representatives voluntarily consent in writing to:
1.1.1 the collection, receipt and recording of personal information by [PARTICIPATING CLUB] and ENGEN for purposes of conducting the tournaments official registration process; and
2.1.2 the dissemination and processing of any such Representatives personal information by ENGEN for purposes of having such personal information used in marketing and/or promotional activities which shall be conducted by ENGEN;
2.2 The voluntary consent contemplated in paragraph 2.1 shall be obtained in a manner which complies with the provisions of the Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013 (Act No. 4 of 2013).
I, [Team Manager] hereby accept the rules of the Engen Knockout Challenge and will ensure that my team adheres to the above Code of Conduct. In doing so, I indemnify ENGEN PETROLEUM LIMITED, Openfield and [HOST CLUB/CLUB] against any damages arising from noncompliance hereto.